fadumpt.net

Friday, February 17, 2006

Powerbook: One Month Review

It has been a little over a month so I figured I'd write up a review of how things are going. I'm going to try to relate some of this to my first post on it (back in January) and go from there.
First off, it's still a bueatiful piece of work. I'm sitting on the back steps outside, the backlit keyboard still looks and works great, it's still quiet. The weather widget says it's 52 Degrees fahrenheit out here and the sounds of the night sorround me. The computer has been on for over 24hours, it's not too hot, and never really gets too hot unless you use it on the bed, and that's not too bad. I've had on it on for 6 days before, close the lid, pack it up and take it where ever and within a second it's back up and running. It doesn't use that much power at all in standby and battery lasts long enough so that you can generally use it on and off most of the day without a charger. The battery life right now reports three hours and two minutes, which is actually the highest I've seen it on a full charge in a while, usually it's about two hours and 45 minutes. Maybe it's trying to look good for the review. I mentioned that nothing pops out at me wanting attention. This is still mostly true, really the only obnoxious app was Entourage and I fixed that setting. The fan is extremely quiet even when on and it generally takes a quiet room to really hear it.

The speakers are okay, but if there is just a little too much external noise in the room, you aren't going to really hear the speaker sound. It has gotten a little dusty over the past month and I need to clean it up, but it generally hides it's dirtiness well. The case is well made, except sometimes when holding the front corner it makes a slight creaking noise, but that hasn't been an issue beyond that. I do have an issue with how Mac OS X handles network profiles, it would be nicer if they develop an easier way to switch your profile at different locations.

That's really all I can think of right now, if you are looking to purchase a powerbook, feel free to comment or email me questions and I'll try to help you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home