fadumpt.net

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

1987 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park

I really like station wagon's, I'm not sure why, but I just like them. Perhaps it's partly from hearing the "war stories" of my dad driving the 1969 Ford LTD Country Squire with the 390C.I. engine Taxi around New York. Perhaps also it's becuase they are different in today's time of ugly SUV's and tiny sport's cars.

The day the car really stuck out to me was about last week. I had to deliver some printer ink to Greer Storage, I had it in my head that it was supposed to go to Deal Depot (a car dealership about a mile or two past greer storage) Most of the stretch of that road is car dealerships, major and used both, and between the Toyota of Greer and Deal Depot I spotted a maroon station wagon, huge too. So I go on to Deal Depot. The woman there says she doesn't even have a printer for that ink and I see "Greer Storage" written on the top of the invoice, so I say bye and I'm off to Greer Storage. I did stop by the wagon and walk around it and check out it, it looked like it was in really good condition. It said "$500 cash,tag,sales tax runs good" on the window. So that evening I told my parent's about it and we went to check it out the next day. Dad said it looked like it was in really good condition and my neighbor that went with us agreed (mom stayed in the car mostly. So we walked up to the little office and got keys and a magnetic license plate and took for a test drive and it did rather well. Back in the office we talked him down to $420 with sales tax, but didn't actually buy it then (I was broke til next paycheck) So today after cashing my check this morning, we went down to the place and bought it. It's a lot to get used to after driving the beetle for so many years, but it turns really nice! By the way, the beetle is still staying with me, just don't want to hurt it as I restore it (damaged/old parts breaking new parts)

So the wagon does need the fuel guage fixed (sender or whatever, the turn signal switch is broken, the tailgate window switch doesn't always work (works from the key on the tailgate though) The power window on the passenger side rear window doesn't work, there are bunch of vacuum tubes (common with ford's around this bunch of years :-/) new tires, an antenna, and the radio seems to have a short in the speakers. Apparently it also doesn't shift properly. Mostly minor problems it seems for such a cheap price. Oh the air conditioner compressor doesn't have the belt going around it(bad compressor?)

It has gas and toll reciepts in the glove box from Pennsylvania, all over new york, and virginia, so it's been around :) Probably has about 150,000 miles on it (maybe 250,000?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home