fadumpt.net

Thursday, March 31, 2005

My Arch 0.7 Experiance

I am writing this from my server in links2, a command line internet browser(Internet Explorer in black and white with no pictures), why you ask? The day is Wednesday, I am casually using the computer, i go to virtual desktop 4, open a folder, double click on an mp3 and the entire computer freezes, so i try a kill command and it doesn't work. I restart the computer and I get a reiserfs journal error, one more boot attempt and i get a login prompt, but when i login, i can't start X and none of the commands work. Another reboot yields the same results. All I can do is pray that my data is still intact. So I'm rather bitter at arch right now and this probably isn't a good time to write a review and hopefully no "future arch user" will take it as "this is what happens when you use arch" ... though it might be...
My other problem with arch was when i realized that the famous pacman was rather limited in packages to install. Then a few packages went corrupt on me and killed the pacman -Syu system updates. The system also runs rather slow (granted i had it up for 25 days and had a ton of stuff open)
I will say that Arch, while not being the easiest thing at all to install, is great after you do get it installed. I learned a good bit about some of the config files, and was able to get a lot working that a lot of other distro installs didn't have working. Which was really nice.
All and all it's a decent distrobution of linux and i was hoping to continue using for the simple fact that stuff worked (especially multimedia type stuff) Now I'm out to try a ubuntu linux and search for a nice, inexpensive mac laptop. err..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home