fadumpt.net

Friday, April 15, 2005

Shabbat

A few weeks ago my mom met a Rabbi in Wal-mart (of all places :)) and they started talking. He invited us to the shabbas dinner (tonight). So that was where I spent my Friday. The food was excellent! Jewish food is *so* good! It's amazing how much ritual is followed during meals and such. I mean, your average Christian, we'll say Baptist. They go to church on Sunday, kick the kids out on Wednesday to church, a quick prayer before meals, and they are off to Heaven. Tonight, we spent 20 minutes in the synogoge/kid's playroom (:)) praying and singing hymms before going to the table. Then said more prayers and sang more hymms. (well i didn't sing, i just tried to keep up with the fast spoken hebrew and remember how to turn the pages the right way :)
(and from the previous point (the christian thing) that's just Friday evening, Saturday you can't even cook (cook your food friday), walk to the synogogue (no horse/buggy, train, plane, car). (but this isn't the context of the post so enough of that, Google is your friend, you iniquisitive reader! :))

I don't think I've done anything along the lines of my Jewish background since New York. So this was really neat. One of the woman there lives in Isreal and was visiting her son (on a track scholarship at Clemson), there was a man from Russian there with his wife (from Chicago) and everyone (except us :-/) was speaking hebrew a lot. Back when i was a youngin' i remember being in a jewish private school for a small amount of time, I still have the primer (right to left pages :)) from it, but I didn't go long enough to learn the language.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home