fadumpt.net

Monday, February 14, 2005

Triumph!

It's a beautiful thing when Linux puts a sour look on a Windows Advocate. It just warms you to the soul, doesn't matter who it is.

This morning, while restoring a client computer to original state, i had to copy over his data. Well, his My Documents folder was completly locked and even the admin account on the computer couldn't get to the files. So I stuck my little Gnoppix CD that i'd downloaded and never tried into the drive and restarted it. It booted up and was really fast. It mounted the SATA drive, i gained access to the My Documents folder in question. Then i clicked computer at the top of the screen and "Network", and "windows network" in that, and it found the 2 workgroups and domain that were on the network here at work. At this point I called my boss in to show off Gnoppix (i didn't think it would support SATA or find the windows network that easily)

He gave a "it still sucks" sort of comment at the fact that i couldn't just write it to one of the NTFS windows XP drives on the network...but i quickly had windows 98 started on my computer (under Virtual PC) and copied the data over in record time, restarted the computer back into windows, and copied the files back. He left around the Windows 98 time with that aforementioned sour sorta look of someone whose team just lost to the underdog..if you will....

Tell me Linux isn't ready to replace windows! It already makes an awesome TECH disc for PC Techs! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home