fadumpt.net

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Day 03 - What does your day job involve?

I work for a small computer support company in Upstate, South Carolina. My day consists of working on computers in the shop and remotely (through RDP/VNC) and if all else fails, driving out to them and repairing or retreiving the computer.

I also quote clients on cost of upgrading or replacing anything from workstations, servers, media centers, networks, etc, etc.
I've had to replace laptop motherboards and power jacks before. There has been the occasional xbox and tivo. I've had to be under houses and in ceilings, running network cables, and just recently, worked with a company's maintenance department to install a wireless dish on their shop to extend the main buildings network. I manage an in-house asterisk server with one softphone and three hardphones connected to it (Calls come in to the system, ring all phones in the shop, after a timeout, they ring all phones as well as our cell phones, and after a further timeout, the call is forwarded on to Google Voice where the caller can leave a message and we receive text and email of the message to get back to them).
I'm more or less, give or take, available 24/7 but it's a lot better now then it used to be when it was just me and my boss.
Back then, I might have to spend all night working on a company's server, grab some breakfast in the morning at a McDonald's and drive 20 miles out to set the server up. Now we have someone else as well and it's not too bad.

Oh yeah, we handle email and websites but I don't get in to too much of that.
That's my business day in the life of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home