fadumpt.net

Friday, April 01, 2011

Day 01 – Why do you consider yourself a geek?

I consider myself a geek because I have a desire to understand technology, how it works and how it applies to me.   I am a hardware geek and I am truly fascinated by older technology and it's use and repair.
To replace a couple capacitors on an RCA Victor tube radio and get rid of the minute long
buzzing before you hear music,  that is a great feeling.  Then do the same repair, replacing some capacitors, on an LCD screen and it comes back to life, you can start to see the similarities and differences between two completely different devices that are almost half a century old, and start to understand how it all works. 

When it comes to computers, I use Linux because we get along and don't step on  each other's toes as much as we used to.  I use windows because I have to, although I will give credit where it's due and say that I think Windows 7 is the best thing I've seen from Microsoft in a long while.  I've used apple before but we don't get along so well. 

I used an iphone 2g for a while before upgrading to an iphone 3gs (there was a brief stint with a blackberry but we won't go there) and now I have upgraded to an android device (lg optimus v).  The 2g, after jailbreaking it for tethering, was a  good but slow phone.  The 3gs was very fast but the interface's limitations were starting to wear at me.  Couple that with the need to connect it to a computer after every reboot  or shutdown (jailbroken) and the iphone was losing my respect, as a cell phone user and as a geek.  Android has been amazing.

I manage a self installed asterisk pbone server and am gaining more and more interest in telecommunications.  Programming languages have so far eluded me but I'll catch one sooner our  later.  Learning Cisco is my latest endeavor because I'm tired of not knowing what to do when I come across them.

I wrote this in bed , half asleep, on my phone....it still sounds good (to me anyways) so I'm posting it. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home